How to keep your skin healthy, soft & supple
Clear, glowing skin is one of the surest signs of good health inside and out.
During my travels I meet so many people who struggle with bad skin - and most have no idea how to get it back to being clean, soft, supple and youthful.
Everything from acne, rosacea and psoriasis, to dry or oily skin, fine lines and wrinkles...all of these pesky conditions can manifest if you don't pay attention to what you put IN and ON your body.
So what's the source of UN-healthy skin?
Well, the first thing to realise is that your skin is your body's largest organ of absorption and elimination - which means that toxicity will show up there if 'your house' is in some type of chaos.
That's why people who frequently work up a sweat through exercise typically have amazing looking skin - it activates the release of stored toxins and impurities in their bodies.
Quite simply, your skin is a reflection of your total body health.
That's why there's so much truth to the 'ole saying, "You are what you eat".
So what 'dietary' tips can help you achieve awesome looking skin?
- Clean Water - Plenty of it every day. Add some slices of orange, lime, lemon or a few mint leaves to dress it up if you like
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Drizzle it on food whenever you can and for extra dry skin, apply it topically before bed
- Garlic - you just can't cook enough with this incredible little food that has so many health-giving qualities
- Lemon Juice - Especially good for Psoriasis. Drink the juice of one lemon each day and apply topically to affected areas 5 times per day and get out in the sunshine
- Kale - Throw a small handful into a smoothie (with coconut water and frozen banana)
- Juice Cleansing - a juice fast for a few days will electrify your cells and speed up the elimination of backed up toxicity in your body
- Avocado - My favourite! Just halve them with a squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt and bingo!
By moving more towards a plant-based diet, by drinking plenty of clean water each day, and avoiding toxic medications and chemical-based skin creams, you'll virtually guarantee yourself of clear, hydrated, soft looking skin.
And what should you be putting ON your skin?
Scan the ingredient labels of your skin creams and personal care products in your bathroom.
What you see may shock you!
Typically these products are laden with chemicals and fillers that are more suited to your car's engine than your body.
If you can't pronounce some of the ingredients on the label, personally I wouldn't touch these products with a ten-foot pole.
If you scale back on all of the toxic items that you have in your bathroom, laundry and pantry, and replacing them with a few nature-made products - that you can actually "eat" if you wanted to - your body will love you for it!