Tips For Treating Age Spots Naturally
Age spots are a normal part of the transformation of skin changing as it ages. They usually begin as tan spots that surface on the hands, arms, feet or chest. Most people find them unattractive on themselves, and they are a constant reminder of our age.
Luckily, there are easy, natural ways for treating age spots at home with nothing more than the contents of your pantry. Reverse the signs of ageing and reveal your best skin yet with these natural age spot treatments, plus a guide to protecting and caring for your skin at any age. It’s never too late to take care of your skin and invest in your health, but the sooner you start, the easier it will be to protect yourself from the signs of ageing.
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera was anciently referred to as the "Potted Physician" for good reason - it heals.
Aloe is an incredible medicinal plant with so many health benefits both external and internal. It’s particularly effective at treating age spots, and is an effective, low-cost all round beauty treatment. When the clear gel is pressed from the thick, fleshy leaves of the Aloe vera plant, it promotes the growth of normal skin cells. This helps renew skin cells to help age spots fade away.
However, the quality of your Aloe vera is a key factor.
Source pure organic Aloe Vera gel at your local health food market, or better still, go to your local nursery and pick up an Aloe Vera plant and squeeze it straight from the leaves every morning and night to cover age spots. Aloe is also great for naturally treating burns, rashes, insect bites, cold sores, eczema, psoriasis, and more thanks to its gentle, soothing relief and cooling of heat.
It’s a great idea to keep a Aloe Vera pot plant at home so you can access it quickly and easily whenever you need it. Plus, Aloe Vera plants are easy to care for and are great for removing harmful toxins and pollutants from the air, which make them the perfect house or desk plant.
2. Lemon Juice
Dabbing fresh lemon juice on age and sun spots can be an effective natural remedy. The Vitamin C in lemons is in the form of a compound called ascorbic acid which is a natural bleaching agent that does a great job of lightening the skin pigmentation.
Use a cotton-tip applicator to dab lemon juice onto your age or sun spots at least twice a day to see noticeable results in about a month or two.
You’ll also notice brighter, more luminous skin from using lemon juice thanks to its high antioxidant content, plus fewer fine lines and wrinkles and softer, more supple skin. Lemons are naturally astringent and antibacterial, so the juice will also help with oily skin, breakouts, and acne.
Learn more in 9 Incredible Health & Healing Benefits of the Lemon.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is a well known natural remedy which can be used to reduce the appearance of age spots, also to soothe and nourish sun burnt skin to avoid peeling.
The naturally occurring Acetic acid in Apple Cider Vinegar is known to lighten the skin pigmentation to smooth out the effects of age spots and blemishes.
Lightly dab a small amount of Apple Cider Vinegar onto the effected area 2-3 times per day for several weeks to notice a lighter appearance of age spots.
4. Eating for Healthy Skin
While these natural ways of treating age spots are highly effective, prevention is also key. It’s easier to get rid of age spots and harder for them to appear if you take care of your skin from as early as possible, but that doesn’t mean expensive beauty treatments.
In fact, the best way to protect your skin is from the inside out by the foods you eat (and don’t eat).
Include more of these foods in your diet:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables for their rich antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. In particular, one-seeded fruits have key nutrients that specifically target the skin e.g. peaches, apricots, nectarines, mangoes, olives etc.
- Healthy fats like avocado, raw nuts, flaxseed, extra virgin olive oil, and coconut oil
- Clean Water, at least 2 litres per day (unless you’re very active, in which case work toward 1 litre per 22 kilos of body weight)
- Fermented foods like sauerkraut, kombucha, sourdough bread, kimchi, miso soup are vital because they promote healthy gut bacteria which is a key factor in boosting skin health.
Consume less inflammatory foods and drinks like:
- Alcohol that is laced with chemicals and preservatives
- Soda and Sports Drinks with food colouring
- Refined sugars and artificial sweeteners
- Processed carbs
- Animal protein, particularly fatty and processed meats, pasteurised and homogenised dairy.
By giving your body what it needs and reducing what it doesn’t, you’ll help your skin look and feel its best. A healthy diet full of whole, plant-based foods is ideal for protecting your skin for years to come to prevent age spots and make treating age spots easier.
Learn more in Why Diet is Key to Glowing Skin.
5. Healthy Skin Practices
While diet is key, there are other important ways you can help protect your skin and make treating age spots easier.
- Use chemical-free sun screen or plant oils with natural SPF factors e.g. Avocado Oil, Coconut Oil, Raspberry Seed Oil, Carrot Seed Oil etc.
- Avoid chemical cosmetics - minimise your skin and beauty routine to just 3 or 4 products that are low or no tox (there are many natural beauty products on the market these days);
- Use a salt and plant oil exfoliate - each day, lightly scrub your skin with salt and essential oils to remove dead skin cells, rejuvenate your skin and boost circulation. Prepare a blend yourself like or use our Renew Salt Scrub Exfoliate to keep your skin vibrant, alive and reduce the onset of age spots
- Break a sweat - Since your skin is the largest organ of elimination, it's important to help your skin release impurities stored below it's surface. Sweating is a form of detoxification that enables this, so be sure to do forms of exercise that stimulate perspiration several times per week, or at least use an infra red sauna which is an incredible detox tool.
A fast or cleanse can also do wonders for your skin health.
It helps flush out all the built-up toxins in your digestive system, which have an impact on your skin health. It also gives your body a chance to reset and rest, much like sleep but longer. Start with a Colon Cleanse, then move into a raw food or juice cleanse for multiple days following.
Treating age spots is simple but you do need patience.
It can take 1-2 months for these natural solutions to show a difference, but that doesn’t mean they’re not working. They’re not stripping the skin or using chemicals like most commercial beauty treatments, so slow and steady wins the skin race to see results that last and that are good for your skin.
With these natural tips and a commitment to a healthy lifestyle with a focus on fresh, whole foods, quality sleep, and natural skin products, you’ll not only treat your age spots but reveal your most youthful skin yet.
Learn more in 7 Secrets to Supple, Youthful, Healthy Skin.
Tolman Self Care.