Tonsillitis: The self care alternatives to surgical removal
At some point in life (usually as young people), most of us have experienced the uncomfortable symptoms of strep throat or tonsillitis.
To this day, Doctors are quick to recommend antibiotics or surgery as the standard treatment and the sad part is, that many school-age children have had their 'healthy' tonsils removed without suffering from any inflammation at all.
The tonsils serve an important purpose in the body, otherwise they wouldn't be there!
Tonsils are a pair of specialised lymph nodes located on either side of the throat, just behind and above the tongue.
Their purpose is to protect you from micro-organisms that can cause infection because the tonsils store white blood cells that engulf bacteria and viruses as they enter the nose and mouth.
If the bacteria or viruses are particularly overwhelming, the tonsils can react by swelling and becoming inflamed, causing what we refer to as tonsillitis.
Common symptoms of tonsillitis include:
- Severe sore throat;
- Pain swallowing;
- Excessive headaches;
- Fevers and chills;
- Enlarged or sore glands in the jaw and neck;
- Loss of voice.
What causes tonsillitis?
Tonsillitis usually begins by some type of respiratory infection or virus that is floating around which enters the bronchioles and eventually infects the intestinal tract.
The problem with attacking only the "symptoms" of tonsillitis, is that it overlooks the greater cause which is typically a chaos or overwhelm that is now being allowed to proliferate in the gut.
That's why a combination of remedies should be used to not only soothe the inflamed area, but also cleanse the digestive tract and rebuild the immune system.
Natural remedies for Tonsillitis
First of all, it's best to avoid environments or contact with people who are already suffering from symptoms of tonsillitis.
One of the most effective natural remedies is to gargle salty water (make sure you use a nature-made salt such as Celtic Sea Salt or Himalayan Salt) every two hours on the first day, then night and morning each day thereafter until the infection is gone.
Dissolve one teaspoon of good salt into eight ounces of warm water, gargle and spit it out.
Bed rest is essential for quick and complete healing, so take it easy to allow your body and immune system to devote more energy to warding off the infection.
My personal view is to avoid antibiotics at all costs, because they tend to change the bacterial environment in the gut, don't actually kill viral infections and in fact are known to ultimately kill immune function and cause 'superbugs'.
Self Care tips for healing Tonsillitis:
- Drink two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice mixed with a mug of cup of water and raw honey to soothe and heal throat soreness;
- Drink plenty of clean water each day to help flush out toxins in the body;
- Have gravity flow colonics or administer enemas morning and night to cleanse the digestive tract. A bentonite clay, psyllium husk & flaxseed fibre Colon Cleanse is also another powerful option;
- Use a vaporizer or humidifier at night time (particularly during colder months);
- Avoid meat, all processed and fried foods and refined vegetable oils;
- Eat vegetable soups and broths and herbal teas;
- Kick up your intake of vitamin C rich foods like citrus fruits which fight inflammation;
- Eat good oils like cold pressed Olive Oil, Coconut Oil and Flax;
- Eat 1 tablespoon of raw organic honey each day. Raw honey has been known for centuries for it's antibacterial and antiviral properties and is a natural respiratory medication;
- Soak in hot baths for at least 30 minutes each day that includes various bath salts, including Epsom and essential oils;
- Have a 30-45 minute infra-red sauna or detox box at least every couple of days;
- With fever, wear cotton socks dipped in cool vinegar water (equal parts vinegar and water). Renew every half hour;
- If the tonsils are excessively swollen, melt a couple of ice-cubes in the mouth;
- Massage essential oils topically to the external throat area e.g. Golden Releaf or Frankincense, including on the toes, balls of feet and thumbs.
Fasting on juices is also a great way to go because it will take the stress off your digestive system and allow your immunity to rebuild and heal as quickly as possible.
Products available in my store that can help rebuild immunity and therefore speed up healing from strep throat, tonsillitis and other infections are Colloidal Silver, Nature's Silver Bullet, Congest Ease and Internal House Cleanse Throat Spray.
Realise that by surgically removing the tonsils, you're actually removing one of your body's intelligent defence mechanisms.
If it's too late, by supporting your health with principles of Self Care, yours or your child's tonsils may eventually grow back as your body realises the important function they play in immune function and protection from viral and bacterial intrusions. I've seen it happen many times for people over the years.