Strawberries have a naturally occurring antioxidant called Ellagic Acid, which is one of the most powerful known compounds for preventing cancer.
Unlike antioxidant supplements, fresh, seasonal strawberries have the whole food frequencies of light that your cells can truly identify with.
Here we highlight the main cancer preventative qualities of strawberries, as well the range of other health and anti-ageing benefits, that make consuming this amazing fruit seasonally am absolute must!
1. Anti-Cancer Ellagic Acid
As already mentioned, strawberries contain a potent, polyphenol compound called Ellagic Acid, which is a powerful antioxidant known to help prevent cancer.
Research actually shows that ellagic acid can target cancer cells in the body, removing them and blocking their ability to multiply.
This means, this cancer-fighting nutrient works behind the scenes to protect and boost your immune system.
Aside from assisting to ward off cancer, ellagic acid is also helpful for reducing inflammation in the body, which of course is a key element of cancer prevention and also ensuring your everyday health and vitality.
2. Packed With Protective Vitamins & Minerals
Strawberries are rich in a host of vitamins and minerals that support tissue repair and the health of your immune system. Some of the most prolific include:
- Vitamin C - Strawberries are a rich source of vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant for immune and skin health;
- Manganese - Strawberries are an abundant source of this trace element, which is key for supporting many parts of your body, including bone, heart and blood health;
- Folate (vitamin B9) - Folate is one of the most important nutrients for normal tissue growth and cell function and fundamental for anti-ageing;
- Potassium - This mineral is involved in many essential body functions, such as regulating blood pressure.
These vitamins and minerals prolific in strawberries can also help remove allergens and irritants from the body and keep inflammation under control.
3. Anti-Ageing and General Health
The ellagic acid in strawberries are one of the key compounds that protect the skin against UV damage by stopping the enzymes that contribute to collagen destruction and wrinkle formation. This is one of the main factors that make strawberries such a potent anti-ageing food!
Additionally, strawberries deliver the following potent health benefits:
- Heart Health - With an appearance that resembles the human heart, it's no surprise that strawberries are a wonderful heart health food. Specifically, the polyphenols, flavonoids and lycopene are the most famous nutrients that target heart health. Additionally, the tiny external seeds on strawberries contain a unique compound that eases arrhythmias and heart palpitations.
- Blood Sugar Balance - Strawberries are a very low glycemic index fruit, meaning they are broken down into simple sugars that are slowly released into the blood stream for fuel. This means unlike sweeter, juicer fruits, they're less likely to cause blood sugar spikes and more likely to keep you energised and satiated for longer so that you don't need to keep eating.
- Fibre - Strawberries are rich in natural fibres that feed the friendly bacteria in your gut, supporting healthy digestion and a healthy weight.
Best Ways To Source & Enjoy Strawberries
There are many ways to enjoy strawberries, from eating them fresh straight out of the punnet, to adding them to smoothies, salads and raw desserts.
Even though strawberries are generally a year-round fruit, they tend to be at their best during the cooler months in sub-tropical regions like Australia.
It's best to source your strawberries from growers at your local farmer's markets whenever possible for quality and freshness. Here's some of the best ways to enjoy seasonal strawberries:
- Wash them and enjoy as a healthy snack straight from the punnet
- Add them to your favourite muesli, organic yogurt or fruit salad
- Throw them into your morning smoothie blends with your favourite nut milk and raw dates or organic honey.
- Add them to home made chia pods or oatmeal for breakfast
- Dip them into raw home-made chocolate prepared from raw cacao as a special treat.
If you're looking for a super convenient way to incorporate strawberries into your diet, try our Berry RAW Juice Powder blend, which you can mix straight into water for a refreshing drink, or add a tablespoon or two into your favourite smoothie recipes to boost the nutrient content.
Tip: Every time you buy fresh strawberries, reserve a portion of berries to freeze and store for quick and easy use in your smoothies. Rinse and remove the stem, then place in a sandwich bag or container in the freezer so that they're ready to add to your smoothies when you're short on time. Simply place a handful of frozen berries into a blender, add two cups of almond or coconut milk, a pitted mejool date or raw honey (to sweeten). For extra nutrient density, add a spoonful of Raw Protein Powder and Maca Powder then blend and enjoy for a complete breakfast or wholesome snack!
The Main Take Away
Strawberries are a genuine super food that you should definitely include in your diet if you want to protect your cells and support healthy body function.
From cancer prevention to heart health, controlling your appetite and more, delicious, seasonal strawberries are a delightful breakfast food, snack food or treat which you are readily available year round.
Shop for them locally at your farmer's markets or from your corner fruit store as they come into season and include them in your diet several times per week. You'll receive anti-ageing benefits, help protect your digestive system, as well as your heart and blood, and you'll delight in one of nature's most perfect and delicious whole foods.
Find more healthy snacks and amazing self care products visit our store here at tolman self care.
Tolman Self Care.