If you've ever experienced puffy eyes or skin, you'll know how frustrating it can be for your self confidence or appearance at the most inconvenient times.
Even though short term events such as a late night or long haul travel can impact the appearance of your eyes and skin, regular puffiness or skin irritation is usually a function of your state of inner health caused over time.
For this reason, it's important to look beyond the surface of your skin and to be consciousness about the true source of the inflammatory problem or irritation.
Here we share some basic natural tips that can help support both short term relief, as well as proper long term healing when it comes to puffy eyes and skin.
1. Consider A Juice Cleanse
Puffiness in the eyes and skin that shows up regularly, is usually a sign of toxicity inside the body.
It could be caused by a junk food diet, too much sugar, alcohol or processed foods, loaded with preservatives, sodium, harmful fats and refined carbs.
These are all inflammatory ingredients that can eventually lead to congestion that impacts the appearance of your eyes and skin.
The good news is that a few days of fresh fruit and vegetable juicing, can help to flush out toxins from your body, leaving you feeling more alert, energised, and even assisting you to sleep better (which of course, is a vital step to rejuvenating tired or puffy eyes and skin).
A juice cleanse for 7 days does not need to be complex or an overly difficult chore.
You can either do it yourself at home, by pre-preparing a few days worth of juices at a time using simple recipes and an expeller cold-press juicer
Or, moist major cities have raw juice companies that can prepare your cleanse for you for either pick up or delivery and convenience.
If you are going to prepare your own juices at home, the trick is to keep your recipes simple and to source your produce, seasonally and ideally from your local farmer's markets.
Focus on ingredients such as these:
- Leafy Greens such as Spinach, Kale & Cos Lettuce
A couple of popular juice blends that are easy to source and prepare are:
#1 CABALA - Red Apples, Carrot, Beetroot, Lemon (add Ginger as an optional extra)
#2 GREEN - Green Apples, Cos Lettuce, Spinach, Cucumber, Mint & Lime
You can prepare both varieties in batches and alternate your consumption of the two keep it interesting, or do one for a few days, then switch over to the other which is a simpler way to go.
Before starting your juice cleanse, consider doing a colon cleanse to help encourage your digestive system to clean up and eliminate heavy metals and toxic metabolic waste, which may be stored in your digestive tract. Congestion in your digestive system is one of the main causes of tired, puffy eyes and skin.
Cleanse Me is a combination of Australian Food-Grade Bentonite Clay, Ground Psyllium Husk and Ground Flax Seeds, which all work together to bind and release accumulated toxic waste from the body, which is an ideal preparation to get the most benefit from a juice cleanse.
There are a couple of different ways you can approach your cleanse, so to make it easy, we include an instruction booklet when you order Cleanse Me so that you can choose the right method for you.
2. Add More Raw Plant Food and Plant Oils
It can’t be said enough that what you eat affects every aspect of your body and skin.
If you’re eating too much packaged food, saturated fat, sugar, additives, preservatives and drinking too much alcohol, they will cause chaos and disruption to your microbiome gut health, causing inflammation in your eyes and skin.
No matter which type of diet you follow, if you have regular signs of inflammation around your skin and eyes, it's generally an indicator that you should kick up your intake of raw plant foods and healthy, cold-pressed plant oils.
These are loaded with phyto-nutrients, vitamins, minerals, essential fibres and anti-inflammatory components, that are vital to restoring the health of your eyes and skin and their surrounds.
It's a great idea to aim to make 80% of your diet a variety of fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and whole grains.
Next, you should eliminate all types of processed food and sugary drinks.
Instead, focus your energy on a variety of delicious green salads, fresh juices, smoothies, soups, fresh fruit and raw nuts, as the fundamental basis for your diet. Be sure to include plenty of extra virgin olive oil and avocados in your diet too.
This is not to say that you can't enjoy other foods, but if you're serious about cleaning up your skin, it's very important to minimise your consumption of processed food, chemical meats, factory farmed dairy and refined sugars and grains.
If you're going to eat animal products, be sure to source organic, free-range, pasture-raised meat and eggs and wild caught seafood.
We also recommend that you shop for fresh produce at your local farmer's markets whenever you can, to minimise the disruption from farm to your plate.
3. Drink More Pure Water
Water is the source of life. Your body and brain is made up of more than 70% water, which needs to be regularly replenished to take care of the largest organ you have - your skin!
If you are constantly dehydrated, your body will intelligently attempt to hold on to the water it has, which can contribute to puffy eyes and skin.
Therefore, the key is to constantly replenish your body with pure, clean water every single day, to ensure your body is functioning at its best and flushing out toxins and waste via your lymphatic and digestive systems.
Remember, you should aim to drink a minimum of 2 litres of water per day, but optimally, 1 litre per 22 kilos of body weight, particularly if you have visible signs of skin problems or if you suffer from puffy eyes on a regular basis.
Use a ceramic filter or the best water filtration system you can find and instal in your home. Alternatively, find a brand of natural spring water that sources from an artesian spring or underground aquifer that is bottled at source. These types of waters are particularly rich in silica minerals, which is a very beneficial nutrient for protection against the formation of wrinkles and the overall health of your eyes and skin.
You can also distill your water at home using a distiller, which mimics the way nature makes rainwater. To remineralise the distilled water, place it in sealed glass jar out in the sun for an hour before refrigerating it for later consumption. You can also add a pinch of sea salt to the water to help remineralise it prior to refrigeration. If you need a distiller, we've sourced one of the best available which you can order at our store at tolmanselfcare.com
4. Expose Your Skin To Clean Cold Water
Cold water can work miracles when it comes to soothing and easing puffiness quickly.
If you wake up looking puffy and have only a few minutes, here are some tips that can help:
- Immediately after you wake up, splash your entire face with the coldest water you can stand. Use either cold tap water or a mixture of cold water and ice cubes in a large bowl or tub and use a fresh face washer. If possible, splash your face for up to five minutes
- Use a cold face roller such as a jade roller which helps to activate the cells and stimulate collagen production. Gently roll over your face, contouring your cheek bones and orbital bones around your eyes.
- Another little trick, is to place a spoon in the freezer for a few minutes and then to gently press it under your eyes. The cold spoon can help to quickly reduce the under-eye puffiness, making you look more alert and awake.
5. Use A Natural Eye Serum
Every night, almond oil containing Vitamin E is a great ingredient to use around the eyes. This reduces puffiness and also protects the delicate skin.
You should also use a natural eye cream or serum every morning to help fill in any lines, soothe puffiness and to hydrate the skin. It will make an instant difference in the appearance of under-eye bags and wrinkles.
You can even use aloe vera gel straight from the plant and apply it directly under your eyes or use our skin's love potion blemish clean-up gel.
The aloe vera works instantly to cool, refresh and soothe, so you’ll feel an immediate difference to your complexion.
Additional tips for soothing eye and skin puffiness naturally:
- Rinse your eyes daily morning and night with Eye of Horus saline eye drops. These natural drops will help to flush residues from the eyes that may be causing irritation
- To reduce puffiness and for pressure relief and relaxation, a silk eye pillow can help;
- Cut two slices, each approximately 1/2 inch thick, off a cold cucumber. Place a slice on each eyelid for five minutes.
- Prepare two tea bags by soaking them in water, wringing them out and chilling them in the refrigerator or freezer. Lie down and place the bags on closed eyelids for five to ten minutes once they are chilled.
Other Potential Causes and Remedies
Stress could be another factor in causing puffiness.
Make sure you take some time each day to practice some type of stress-reducing activity.
It could be walking on the beach, a few minutes or meditation, deep breathing, or taking a hot salt bath infused with therapeutic essential oils.
- Try to ensure you’re getting eight hours of sleep each night.
- Get your body into the ocean on a regular basis. Exposing your skin and eyes to ocean water is one of the most powerful ways to heal inflammation and irritable skin conditions.
- Gentle exfoliation with our Renew salt scrub and/or hot baths with salts and essential oils can also be very effective. These processes help to remineralise, rehydrate and nourish the skin, strip dead skin cells and boost circulation - all of which can greatly help to soothe and reduce inflammation.
- Use a steam room, infra red or traditional rock sauna 2-3 times per week to boost the elimination of toxins from beneath your skin's surface. Use essential oils like Lavender and Tea Tree gently applied to your chest and/or to the back of your neck before you enter the steam room or sauna. These are fantastic longevity practices for maintaining youthful skin.
The Main Takeaway
The secret to reducing puffy eyes, wrinkles or skin irritations, goes beyond the reliance on expensive potions or creams.
The key to a sustainably healthy and youthful appearance of your skin and eyes, comes down to your diet, exercise, the use of natural products that are free of chemicals, and ensuring that you drink enough clean water every single day.
Beyond that, there are a number of handy, helpful self care tips you can experiment with, like we've shared with you here, to help you restore and maintain healthy skin elasticity and that vibrant youthful glow.
Lastly, a good philosophy to keep in mind when it comes to skin care is a principle that is a part of our brand DNA, which is this: "If you can't eat it, don't put it on your skin!"
Find more natural beauty and self-care products at our store tolmanselfcare.com
Tolman Self Care.