The Healing Powers of Coconuts
Coconut is a miracle food from nature's table that targets the health and repair of the heart, brain, teeth and skin.
This considered, it's no surprise that coconuts are a staple food in tropical countries where the incidence of heart disease, cancer and tooth decay are extremely low.
Globally, coconuts are popular for their milk, water and flesh because they are not only incredibly healthy, but a versatile food source that provides wonderful texture and taste.
Cold pressed, extra virgin coconut oil I like to call a 'weight loss' fat because it is a PLANT saturated fat containing a unique composition of fatty acids. This means it works very differently in the body to processed vegetable oils and animal saturated fats that most people consume.
Other benefits of coconut oil include:
- Boosts your daily energy
- Helps lower cholesterol
- Helps heal diabetes, thyroid and chronic fatigue
- Reduces symptoms of Crohn’s, IBS and other digestive disorders
- Rejuvenates your skin and prevents wrinkles
- Softens and nourishes the skin when applied topically, relieving dryness/flaking
- Great for rejuvenating and adding healthy moisturise to hair.
Coconut oil is truly one of the healthiest oils you can consume. It contains no trans fat and is rich in lauric acid, which is known for having anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
It is also perfect for cooking because it has a very high smoke point (approx. 177 Degrees C), remains stable once heated and resistant to oxidation - unlike most vegetable oils.
Because coconut oil contains saturated fat, there is a widespread misconception that it is bad for you, but here's the truth!
- Saturated animal fats can cause high cholesterol and cancer, not plant saturated fats that are unrefined;
- Unprocessed plant fats are easily digested by the body for quick energy and are beneficial to the immune system;
- Plant fats are bad if they've been hydrogenated, meaning they're oils with trans-fatty acids which have been altered from their original chemical composition. These oils lead to heart disease and a host of other problems.
A final tip...
Use only virgin coconut oil extracted from organic coconuts. Choose wisely a brand you can trust like Coconut Magic, because most commercial coconut oils are RBD (refined, bleached and deodorised) and contain medium-chain fatty acids and chemicals in processing.