Anciently used as a natural remedy for soothing sore muscles, pure Epsom Salts have a wider range of uses for body, health and home than you might think!
By far, the most popular use for Epsom Salts is the therapeutic powers of hot bath soaks to soothe and ease tired, aching muscles and joints, but it doesn't end there.
Exactly what are Epsom Salts?
Despite its name, technically Epsom Salts are not actually salt. The scientific name and elemental composition is actually Magnesium Sulphate.
Named after a saline spring in Epsom, England, this natural mineral compound is made up of minute, clear crystals that can easily be absorbed through the skin.
And because your skin is the largest organ of absorption in your body, the rapid uptake of these minerals is the key reason why Epsom Salts can assist with a range of restorative functions in your body.
It's important to note that many people are deficient in magnesium, so using Epsom Salts in various ways on a regular basis, can not only restore magnesium balance, but deliver corresponding health benefits.
Learn more in Magnesium Deficiency: Symptoms, Causes & Remedies
Epsom Salts are non-toxic, making them safe to also use around the home and in the garden for a range of useful purposes.
Here are our top 9 recommended uses for Epsom Salts:
1. Therapeutic Relaxation
Easily dissolved in warm water, adding Epsom salt to a hot bath will help to relax your body as it soaks in transdermally (through your skin). The mineral molecules then go to work straight away to promote the production of serotonin and reduce the effects of the stress hormone, cortisol, which helps your muscles to relax and your body to unwind.
- Pour 1 cup of pure Epsom Salts into a hot running bath, and soak the entire body for 20-30 minutes.
For fragrance and additional therapeutic benefits, add a few drops of pure Lavender Essential Oil or try our handcrafted Detox Bath Salts - where we've blended pure Epsom Salt, Celtic Sea Salt, flower petals and a variety of Pure Essential Oils.
Besides relaxation and remineralising the skin and body, these types of blends will help to draw out toxins and leave your skin feeling soft, rejuvenated and smelling great!
Learn more in The Health Benefits of Bath Salts & How to Make Your Own
2. Muscle Pain Relief
The concentration of magnesium in Epsom Salts, not only relaxes the muscles, it also reduces tension, pain and inflammation in joints.
Additional uses to bathing include:
- Soaking tired and sore feet in a foot bath with a half cup of Epsom Salt. You can also add a few drops of essential oils for added fragrance, anti-septic and aromatherapy benefits.
- For localised pain relief or cramping, soak a towel or cloth in a bucket of hot water mixed with half a cup of Epsom Salt then wrap it around the affected area. This is a great way to soothe injuries, sprains and bruises.
3. Skin Exfoliation
Similar to real, ‘nature-made' salt, Epsom Salt makes a great skin exfoliator.
- Rub a handful of Epsom Salts together with half a tablespoon of cold-pressed olive oil or coconut oil into damp skin and massage using a circular motion. This will slough off dead skin cells, dislodge blackheads and cleanse and nourish the skin. Rinse off with warm water and pat dry.
Learn more in Exfoliating For Healthy Skin
4. Nerve Function
When used as a bath soak, Epsom Salts and Magnesium Sulphate, assists with several enzymatic roles in the body, helping to regulate cell functioning, facilitate calcium use, as well as the transmission of chemical signals throughout the nervous system.
5. Improved Circulation
Epsom Salts can also help to improve blood circulation in your body and prevent cardiovascular disease, thanks to its ability to reduce inflammation and protect the elasticity of veins and arteries.
As a result, the risk of blood clotting, the build-up of arterial plaque and heart disease can be reduced by regularly soaking in Epsom Salts.
6. Blood Sugar Regulation
Both the mineral compounds of magnesium and sulphate contained in Epsom Salts assist with the production of insulin in your body.
In addition to absorbing it through your skin, you can also take Food Grade Epsom Salt orally in small amounts which may help to regulate your blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of diabetes, as well as the bonus of improving energy levels for physical and mental activities!
7. Hair Volumisation
If your hair is flat and lifeless, the mineral content of Epsom Salts can help restore volume, depth and shine to your hair.
Mix equal parts of a natural tox-free conditioner and a sprinkling of Epsom Salts into a small saucepan and lightly dissolve the salts. Work the warm mixture through your hair and leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.
8. Household Cleaner
Most commercial household cleaners are full of harmful and toxic chemicals which sublimate into your home environment, causing congestion, skin and respiratory problems without you even realising it.
You can make your own safe and effective version of household cleaner using Epsom Salts.
- For dirty pots and pans, Epsom Salts will help you to get food off without scratching the surface. Just pour a small amount in with the dishwater and rub with a dishcloth or sponge
- Since Epsom Salts are mildly abrasive with pressure, it can work wonders for scrubbing surfaces around the home. A popular use is as a tile and grout cleaner. Add Epsom to natural, low-tox liquid soap or dish-washing liquid and lightly scrub the surface. Wash away with hot clean water afterwards to clean and reduce the soap residue.
Epsom Salts can be used to not only help plants grow and improve fruit and vegetable yields, but also to keep away insects and pests.
- To fertilise the soil, sprinkle Epsom Salt around your plants and then water it in with a hose or watering can;
- To deter insects, mix 3 tablespoons of Epsom Salt with 1 litre of water and put into a spray bottle. Then spray the mixture evenly over the leaves and stems of the plants in your garden.
The Main Takeaway
As you can see, Epsom Salts are a powerful natural compound that have several versatile uses in addition to soothing sore muscles and joints.
Whether it be for use as a skin treatment, for supporting circulation and body health, or for tox-free use around the home, pure Epsom Salts are a must-have product for any household that is committed to natural health and a self care lifestyle.
You will find Epsom Salts available in our store.
Tolman Self Care.