If you've never heard of bentonite clay before.. you may have been living under a rock (bad pun!) and you may also be surprised to learn that it’s a “healing clay”. It can be taken internally (eating and drinking it) or used topically - by missing with water and/or various other ingredients and smoothing into the skin.
Bentonite clay has been traditionally used to promote internal cleansing and has become a popular ingredient in a number of detoxification programs. It has a strong negative electromagnetic charge, and when activated by water, it acts like a magnet in and on our bodies, pulling metals and toxins to it.
The History of Bentonite Clay Benefits
Bentonite clay is composed of ash made from volcanos and stems back far in history as a traditional healing method for protecting the body from disease. The first recorded use of medicinal clay goes back to ancient Mesopotamia.
It has been reported that several traditional cultures living in regions of the Andes, Central Africa and Australia have used Bentonite Clay as a supplement, dietary staple and for healing aches and pains in numerous ways for centuries, most often by carrying balls of dried clay in their bags and dissolving a small amount in water with meals to prevent poisoning from any toxins present.
Because Bentonite Clay is readily available and requires no processing, it has been a popular and cost-effective method for “detoxing” the body, for thousands of years and is still being used today.
Fortunately for us, historical records have documented the many benefits of this amazing mineral as well as a long list of famous people and nations from times past whose findings when using clay for healing and diet are on record for us to lear from.
So Many Ways to Use Bentonite Clay
Here is a short list of my favourite ways you can use Bentonite Clay for your own health and wellness.
• Internal Detox – When your body is over loaded with metals, all sorts of health issues can appear. This super clay will magnetically grab toxins from your body and removing them out 'the back door'
• Managing Weight Gain – This benefit ties in with the above detox note. When your body is full of toxins your cravings for sugar and processed foods are more frequent. Taking Bentonite Clay in addition to a healthy diet will assist in your feeling more satisfied and therefore reduce weight gain due to unhealthy choices. Your body will then crave healthy foods and maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle will be a direct result.
• Healthy Hair – Perfect foror all hair types and conditions! Use as an overnight hair mask for impressive results. Many shampoo and conditioners contain harsh chemicals that deplete your hair. Bentonite takes those toxins out of your hair leaving it soft, shiny and beautiful.
• Acne – Your skin is the largest organ in your body. When taken internally your skin starts to heal on the outside. So many folks make the mistake of treating acne on the outside, but it’s really a symptom of an internal issue.
• External Detox – Soaking in a bath with Bentonite Clay will pull toxins from your body. Just don’t be shocked when you see black sand-like tar at the bottom of your tub. Those are the metals pulled from your body.
• Boosts Probiotics - By removing toxins, digestive-distress causing chemicals and heavy metals from the gut, bentonite clay helps to promote the “good bacteria” or probiotics living in your gut wall and decrease the amount of harmful “bad bacteria.”
How to Use Bentonite Clay
Internal Use -
The best way to ingest bentonite is on an empty stomach, or at least 1 hour before or after meals. It is generally advisable to start with 1 tablespoon of Bentonite Clay daily, mixed with a small amount of juice or room temperature water and build up to 4 tablespoons daily, in divided doses.
The most common side effect is constipation because the clay pulls water from your colon as it passes through. So drink water. WATER. WATER. WATER.
External Use - there are so many, here are just a few of my favourites.
Toothpaste - Mix together a blend of 1/2 TBSP clay, 2 TBSP Distilled Water, 1 TBSP Coconut Oil, 2 TSP of Aluminium Free Baking Soda.. From here you can add a pinch of good salt, a few drops of peppermint oil or what ever takes your fancy!
Deep Cleansing Face Mask - Mix 3 TSP of clay to 2-3 drops of essential oil (optional) and enough water (or rose water) to make it like a paste. Apply the wet clay and let it dry for any time between 10-25 minutes. You may experience some redness after rinsing of the mask simply because impurities are being drawn out.
Clay Bath - Run warm bath and add 1-4 cups of Bentonite Clay. Adding a few drops of essential oils is optional. Aim to soak for at least 20 minutes. You may notice globs of clay stuck to random spots on your skin. You might have to rub the clay off with a rag or your finger nail in these places as that spot on your skin is where the toxins have surfaced.
If you have lots of the 'globs' still sticking to you, try to soak for a few minutes longer.