Health & Beauty Benefits of Clay Masks & How To Make Your Own
The desire to have youthful, glowing skin is almost as old as time and so is the use of earth-made clay facial masks to support this purpose.
Today we know the healing power of clay comes from the naturally occurring minerals.
Even when we look to the animal kingdom, we notice they adopt the use of clay to protect themselves from insect bites or blistering sun exposure. So it's not far fetched to assume that we too can benefit from the nourishing power of clay. In fact, for thousands of years, some of the cleanest cultures on earth have embraced the use of clay for detoxifying the skin.
Clay masks are amazing for every skin type, as they offer our skin protection and relief from everyday irritants: pollution, toxins or stress—all of which are harmful to our health and beauty. If you don't remove these irritants from your pores, you'll experience inflammation, blemishes, toxicity or digestive disturbances.
If you want to get your body singing with good health and beauty, start putting clay masks to work for you!
Learn more in: Why Internal Plaque Removal Detoxifies The Skin?
Health & Beauty Benefits
Clay Masks Are All Natural
At this point, it's become common knowledge that mass-marketed skincare products are not natural.
They sport fancy ingredients and impressive health claims, but what they fail to mention is that they use known toxins, petrochemicals and other skin irritants. These unnatural ingredients negate all the remarkable health claims.
Why? Because now you're absorbing toxins into your body, which increases your risk of diseases or skin flare-ups. Clay masks are an excellent alternative as most high-quality or homemade varieties do not include any harsh ingredients!
Learn more in: The Ugly Truth About Synthetic Skincare Products.
Pollution, toxins, oil and dirt all build up on the surface of the skin and if left unattended, they can lead to skin imperfections.
What makes clay masks tremendous when used as a cleanser is that they contain a powerful negative charge while toxins have a positive charge. Once the clay targets a positively charged toxin, it locks on, and your body eliminates it, providing a thorough sweep and detoxification of your skin and body. This also reduces the risk of skin inflammation or blemishes.
Combat Skin Conditions
It isn't just environmental impurities that clay can dispense of: utilising clay facial masks can also help heal skin conditions, like eczema. Following the logic already mentioned, clay works to combat facial bacteria by adhering to it and ridding the pores of potential irritants.
By allowing the clay to dry, it hardens to the skin and seeps down into your pores, lifting bacteria without disturbing the beneficial microflora on the surface of the skin. Regular use of clay masks is akin to applying a topical antibiotic to treat problematic skin conditions. The difference is that clay doesn't kill all the bacteria (even the good) the way antibiotics do. The result is healthy, clear skin.
For better circulation, clay removes debris trapped in your pores and lifts hydrogen to the surface, which oxygenates the skin. The removal of hydrogen from the skin means healthier, more vibrant skin.
Reduce Pore Size
One of the most effective ways to prevent troublesome skin issues is to shrink the size of your pores—the bigger the pore size, the more buildup of oil, dirt, grime or pollution. A fringe benefit of cleansing your skin of impurities and bacteria is that over time with regular use, your pore size will decrease—and so will your chances of blackheads (an indication of clogged pores). One thing is for sure though; smaller pores are a trademark of flawless skin.
Balances Sebum Production
Sebum is the natural oil your skin produces that protects and moisturises it. The trouble with sebum is the modern life is that poor diet and stressful lifestyles can send sebum production into overdrive. The overproduction of sebum leads to blemishes like acne or blackheads.
You can't resolve skin imperfections with just the use of clay masks. A change in diet or whatever brought on problematic skin and regular clay mask use will tackle your skin woes. Clay masks are an excellent solution for oily skin types as they do a fantastic job unclogging pores and helping control sebum imbalances.
Youthful Glowing Skin
Cheat wrinkles with clay masks.
Silica, a naturally occurring mineral within the body, is behind the manufacturing of your connective tissues like muscles. It also plays a role in collagen production. Insufficient silica makes for weak connective tissues and imperfect skin while a lack of collagen is the primary cause of wrinkles.
The use of bentonite clay masks specifically are known for their anti-aging properties. Bentonite encourages proper blood circulation, especially to the skin, which will further increase skin healing and regeneration. By introducing clay masks into your daily life, you'll experience beauty benefits like smooth, wrinkle-free and glowing skin!
Clay is not just for external use, bentonite clay works wonders on your digestion too. If you ingest a high-quality Food-Grade Bentonite Clay, the negative charge seeks out viruses (like those that cause the stomach flu) and chemicals or other toxins found in the body and eliminates them.
The fact that when taken orally, bentonite can rid the body of harmful toxins without disrupting good bacteria is so important because a buildup of toxins can contribute to diseases such as cancer. Bentonite clay can help alleviate digestive issues such as: constipation, nausea, morning sickness, natural detox and other digestive complaints.
Learn more in: Why Detox With Bentonite Clay?
If you want to detoxify your body of harmful bacteria, bentonite clay like Cleanse Me Natural Colon Cleanse is a great option. Operating on the same negative charged principal, bentonite clay binds to harmful bacteria (especially in the colon) and flushes it out of your body. Another benefit of bentonite clay is it’s alkalizing and can restore balance to your gut.
Learn more in: Detox And Renew With Ancient Healing Wisdom.
Different Kinds Of Clay, For Every Skin Type
There isn't just one type of clay that you can utilise for better skin; there are several available to you! And just like the foods we eat, every kind of clay offers different health and beauty benefits and is better suited to each of the skin types.
- Bentonite: Is an excellent choice for oily skin types as it is very good at deep cleaning the pores to prevent breakouts. It also works wonders for aging skin as it encourages both collagen production and better blood circulation to help reduce the signs of age.
- Fuller's Earth: Has similar effects to bentonite clay. It's highly absorbent and a great detoxifier so it's excellent for oily skin. It also can even-out skin tone because of its subtle bleaching effects.
- French Green: Is ideal for oily or normal skin types and is useful for boosting blood circulation for more oxygenated and softer skin.
- Moroccan Red: Is meant for acne-prone skin types as it helps with sebum buildup and is gentle enough for regular use.
- Rhassoul: Fantastic for dry, sensitive or mature skin. Rhassoul clay improves elasticity while naturally hydrating and moisturizing the skin. Thanks to the strong negative charge, this clay is attracted to the positively charged toxins or skin impurities to help keep pores clean.
- Kaolin: Perfect for sensitive skin as it's the gentlest clay. It's not as powerful as the rest of the clays, but it still offers much of the same health and beauty benefits.
How To Make Your Own Clay Mask
If you're looking for an effective way to revitalize your skin naturally, here's everything you need to make your own clay mask! Or if you’d prefer to use a ready-made clay mask that is all-natural and high-quality try Radiance Face Mask With Detoxifying Clay.
What You'll Need:
- 1 teaspoon Food Grade Bentonite Clay
- 1 teaspoon purified water or raw apple cider vinegar (substitute with a raw unpasteurised vinegar like, Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar for deeper clean)
- 1-3 drops of essential oils.For added benefits and a more pleasing smell, like doTERRA Lavender Essential Oil or doTERRA Roman Chamomile.
- 1 teaspoon raw honey: Antibacterial and can leave your skin feeling even softer to touch.
- Mix the clay powder with water and honey (if using) in a small bowl.
- Drop in essential oils and stir until incorporated.
- Apply clay mask to a clean face.
- Allow the clay to dry, about 15-20 minutes.
- Wash off with a warm washcloth and apply a high-quality all-natural moisturiser afterward.
- Use a clay mask twice a week for best results.
The use of clay masks is something our ancestors and animals have in common. Clay is rich in minerals and offers an array of health and beauty benefits such as cleansing pores and ridding the skin of toxins or blemishes thanks to its negative charge.
Regular use of clay masks makes for gorgeous, youthful skin that is free of impurities for better overall health.
Tolman Self Care.