Psoriasis & Eczema: How to naturally heal & prevent chronic skin conditions
You’ve probably heard me say it before, but it’s important that you get this…
Your skin is Cytophylactic, meaning it absorbs and dumps waste more than any other organ in your body.
If you’re unhealthy on the inside, it will eventually show up on the outside…and one of the surest indicators that someone needs to ‘clean house’ is when they have unhealthy and blemished skin.
Two of the most common dis-eases that shows up on the skin, as a result of excess internal plaque, are Psoriasis and in some types of Eczema.
What exactly is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a disease in which internal plaque is dumped through the skin. Normally, skin renews itself in about 30 days, the time it takes for a new skin cell to work its way from the innermost layer of skin to the surface. That cell in psoriasis reaches the top in just three days, as if the body had lost its brakes. The result is raised areas of skin called plaques, which are red and often itchy. They die like normal cells after the cells reach the surface, but there are so many of them the raised patches turn white with dead cells flaking off.
Psoriasis generally follows a pattern of periodic flare-ups alternating with periods of remission. This condition is linked to a rapid growth of cells in the skin’s outer layer and is often hereditary. These growths on the epidermis never mature. Whereas in about twenty-eight days, a normal skin cell matures and passes from the bottom layer of the skin to the epidermis, psoriatic cells form in about eight days, causing scaly patches that spread to cover larger areas. The result of this disorder is the production of excessive numbers of skin cells in a very short time.
Attacks can be triggered and exacerbated among other things, by nervous tension, illness, injury, stress, surgery, poison ivy, cuts, viral or bacterial infection, sunburn, overuse of drugs or alcohol, or the use of many common pharmaceuticals and medications.
Psoriasis appears as patches of skin on the arms, elbows, legs, knees, scalp, ears and back that are red to brown in colour and covered with silvery- white scales.
Toes and fingernails can develop ridges and pits and lose their lustre.
What about Eczema?
A common skin condition amongst children and adults, Eczema is also sometimes referred to as “Atopic Dermatitis”. It’s normally triggered by allergies or toxic substances either inside or outside the body. The immune system then reacts by producing inflammation of the skin.
Eczema is characterised by rash-like, scaling, thickened patches of skin that can become red and fissured. These may also appear as tiny blisters, called vesicles, that rupture, weep, and crust over. The most troublesome, prevalent, and often constant symptom of eczema is itching.
With both of these skin conditions, the worst thing you can do is apply chemical topical creams to suppress the condition because you will pay for it down the road with side effects.
The best thing you can do is to read the signs and support the healing, by doing the right things and embracing natural, non-toxic remedies.
Natural Remedies & Treatment
Here’s what I recommend for conditions like psoriasis, eczema and scaly, itchy skin:
- Get your body into the Sun! 95% of Psoriasis sufferers improve or even remit the condition by exposing the affected areas to a regular dose of sunshine. Rub cold-pressed coconut oil on before exposure. Learn more in The Healing Powers of Sunlight
- Get into the ocean or a natural SALT bath! Soaking your skin in the ocean or a warm, mineral-rich bath salt is one of the most healing things you can do to detoxify for your skin. Learn more in The Health Benefits of Bath Salts & How to Make Your Own
- Eat a clean 50% raw plant diet! Load up on plenty of fruits, grains and vegetables (including AVOCADO). Learn more in Top 7 Reasons to Embrace a Plant-Based Diet & How to Do It
- Eat more Plant Oils! Be sure to include ONE Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil on a salad or on organic whole grain bread each day
- Steer clear of toxic skin care products! I have a philosophy when it comes to skincare, 'if you can't eat it don't put it on your skin'. That's why we handcraft a simple range of products like Renew Salt Body Scrub and Divine Face & Body Butter using principles of alchemy not chemistry
- Add extra Dietary Fibre: Colonic health is critical to the health of your skin and overall body. When transitioning to a cleaner diet, you may need to add some extra fibre like Flax Seeds or Psyllium Husk (try my Get Things Moving fibre blend) to help get waste out of your body.
- Detox & Cleanse: If you are experiencing severe symptoms expressing as skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema it may also be beneficial to undertake some form of fasting. Try my Cleanse Me Natural 4-day Colon Cleanse protocol to detoxify your gut first and then continue by only consuming water, juices or whole foods. Learn more about how you can Detox & Heal in this way on this page.
A few final tips, drink plenty of water each day to hydrate your body and aid the elimination of waste, avoid eating animal fat and exercise regularly (particularly outside in the fresh air) to work your body into a light sweat whenever you can.
All of these things will accelerate the release of built-up toxins and get you on the path to having beautiful, healthy skin.