Simple secrets to pleasure and success
As time marches on, the best we can do is to accept that life is full of surprises.
The outcomes we have throughout our life are in many ways directly attached to how we each go about our daily routines - our priorities, habits and the standards we hold for ourselves.
"Success" wears many hats and can be defined differently for all of us.
But I believe that the best definition of "success" is ultimately the degree to which we spend time living in a state of fulfilment, pleasure and joy!
Here I'd like to share a few ideas on how to go about achieving the kind of success that appeals to you.
Luckily, from a young age I chose to follow my passion and interests - which as it turns out - not only has given me great pleasure and satisfaction throughout my life, but over the past 50 years, has also allowed me to impact thousands of lives.
So for what they may be worth to you, here are my tips for living more on purpose and in an ongoing state of pleasure and happiness:
Develop your interests
Determine what you are truly interested in.
And if this doesn't come easily to you, think back to what naturally brought you pleasure as a child.
Our early childhood is usually a time when we feel most free, creative and explorative because it's the one time in our lives when we tend not to be constrained by 'real life' commitments and priorities that seem to dictate our adult lives.
I managed to make my avocation (interests) my vocation (career).
And I believe that we're at a time now in history (in this information and digital age) where this is more possible for you and others than ever before.
Outside of my work, my pleasure interests are listening to music and exercise.
My favourite activities are walking, swimming and playing racquetball, basketball and billiards. I'm also back into playing the guitar, piano which I have always loved.
Sure, I go through periods where I don't do them all, but these are a variety of activities that I can go to that bring me pleasure and joy.
So, my question for you is...what activities truly bring you pleasure and a sense of purpose?
- Start by reflecting on what things have brought you joy and satisfaction in the past. Write them down so you can see it. Remember, 'out of sight out of mind', so make it visual!
- Maximise your personal energy by paying attention to your diet and regular movement. Never forget that "Life is Movement", so don’t play to get fit, get fit to play!
- Lose any fear or self-doubt that questions whether you're good enough and just experience and experiment with your chosen passions for what they're worth to YOU;
- Don't compare yourself to others who may have the same interests. Whether they're at a more advanced level than you or not, doesn't matter. Remember, you're in this for the joy it brings you!
Take appropriate action
Be a ‘do it now’ person.
Action is where it's at, so don't over analyse your every move because if you do that, chances are you'll find reasons not to do it and you'll be short-changing yourself of added fulfilment in your life!
- Always believe 100% in what you’re doing; an unshakeable belief that you're good enough will keep you on track;
- Be interdependent: mix with like-minded people; independence in isolation can never create synergy, so don't be shy to join a group of other folks who share the same interests or who can support you on your journey;
- Communicate your own ideas to others and listen to other people’s ideas. Everything great in this world starts with an idea and then conversations help to turn those ideas into reality.
Enjoy the process and celebrate often
Progress is where it's at for living in a constant state of happiness.
If you're experimenting with your passions on a regular basis, exploring ideas, trying new ventures, you'll carry around with you a feeling of self worth that makes you feel proud and is infectious to others.
And remember to celebrate the little wins and experiences along the way because you deserve to not take life too seriously.
Smell the roses often, love yourself and appreciate what you have.
And may each step living on this planet, guide you towards discovering your true self and living your dreams.